- 10 min
- 30 min
- 1 loaf
- 1 sourdough loaf, preferably round
- ½ cup (125 mL) Kalamata olives, pitted
- ½ cup (125 mL) green stuffed olives, sliced
- ½ cup (125 mL) marinated red peppers
- ½ cup (125 mL) caramelized onions (recipe below)
- ¾ cup (175 mL) Armstrong Extra Old Cheddar Cheese, thinly sliced
- 2 medium onions, thinly sliced
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) butter
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) olive oil
- salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 350° F (180° C).
- Cross-cut the bread loaf, careful to only cut ¾ of the way through to create a grid pattern approximately 1 inch by 1 inch .
- In a bowl, combine olives and marinated red peppers.
- Start by stuffing the cooled caramelized onions into the pockets in the bread loaf. Repeat with olive and red pepper mixture. Repeat by tucking a layer of sliced Armstrong cheese into each pocket.
Wrap in tin foil and transfer to a lined baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes or until cheese has melted.
Option: To make a flat bread version of this recipe, swap the sourdough for pre-packaged pizza dough or puff pastry.
- On medium heat, combine all ingredients in a medium saucepan and stir regularly. Cook for 45 minutes, or until onions have browned and softened.