- 17 min
- 52 min
- 2 white medium onions, peeled
- 15 mL (1 tbsp) extra virgin olive oil
- Pinch dry thyme or 1 branch fresh thyme
- 1 mL (1/4 tsp) white sugar
- 125 mL (1/2 cup) water
- 10 mL (2 tsp) white wine vinegar
- 8 slices crusty whole wheat, thickly sliced bread
- 45 mL (3 tbsp) Dijon mustard
- 225 g (1/2 lb) sliced ham
- 12 slices Armstrong Extra Old Cheddar Cheese, sliced (1/2”, 1cm)
- 45 mL (3 tbsp) salted butter
- Slice onions 1/2 cm (1/4” thick). In a frying pan on medium-high heat fry the onions in olive oil for 2 min. Add thyme and sugar. Continue frying, stirring often for 15 minutes, until golden. Add water and cook until evaporated. Add vinegar, stir and cool.
- Cut cheddar in 12 slices.
- Spread 4 slices of bread with mustard. Divide the ham, Armstrong Extra Old Cheddar Cheese, and onions between the slices. Top with more bread, spread top of each sandwich with 5 mL (1 tsp) butter.
- In a large frying pan on medium-low heat fry 2 sandwiches butter side down for 4 minutes, until golden. Spread top of each sandwich with 5 mL (1 tsp) butter, flip and cook another 3 minutes. Repeat with remaining sandwiches. Serve.
*Serve with a bowl of soup to make a comforting and delicious lunch. Try adding sliced tomatoes or pickles to the sandwiches before cooking.