- 15 min
- 45 min
Cheesy mashed potatoes
- 4-6 Russet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) butter
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) 35% cream (room temperature)
- 250 ml (1 cup) Armstrong Old Cheddar Shredded Cheese
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) olive oil
- 1 small onion, cut into 1 cm slices
- 2-3 garlic cloves, cut into thin slices
- 1 small green pepper, cut into 1 cm slices
- 1 small red pepper, cut into 1 cm slices
- 1 250 g chorizo sausage, cut into 1 cm slices
- Pinch of ground cumin
- Pinch of smoked paprika
- 500 ml (2 cups) crushed tomatoes
- In a pot of salted water set over high heat, cook the potatoes for approximately 20 minutes, or until tender.
- Meanwhile, in a pan set over medium-high heat, sauté the onion, garlic, and peppers in olive oil for 3 minutes. Add the sausage and spices and stir. Add the crushed tomatoes and reduce heat to medium-low. Cook for 10 minutes (add water if mixture becomes too thick).
- Once the potatoes are cooked, strain and let cool. Add the butter and cream, and using a potato masher, purée until smooth and lump-free. Add the Armstrong Old Cheddar and stir until cheese has melted. Season.
- Serve the sausage stew on a bed of mashed potatoes and garnish with fresh herbs if desired (parsley, basil, cilantro, etc.).