- 20 min
- 45 min
- 8 to 10
- 2 packages (8 oz/250 g) refrigerated crescent roll dough
- 16 cocktail size smoked sausages
- 4 Armstrong Old Cheddar Cheese snacks, quartered
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) baking soda
- 1 egg
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) coarse salt
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) dried onion
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) poppy seeds
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) sesame seeds
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) yellow mustard, for serving
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C). Separate dough into 16 triangles. Using a paring knife, make a slit in the sausage and insert a piece of cheese into slit. Place sausage and cheese on base of dough triangle. Fold up the dough ends to seal and roll up from the base of the triangle.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Stir in baking soda. Place rolls, 4 at a time, in boiling soda water and cook 30 seconds. Remove rolls from water with slotted spoon, shaking to remove water. Place rolls 2 inches (5 cm) apart on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Repeat with remaining rolls.
- In a small bowl, combine salt, onion, poppy seeds, and sesame seeds. Set aside.
- Beat egg with 1 tbsp (15 mL) water. Brush rolls with egg wash and sprinkle with seed mix.
- Bake for 13 to 15 minutes or until pastry is golden brown. Serve warm with mustard to dip.
*Substitute the yellow mustard with your favourite hot dog or pretzel toppings, from ketchup to honey mustard.