- 30 min
- 1 h 15 min
- 3 cups (750 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 1 1/3 cups (325 mL) cold unsalted butter, cut into cubes
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) Demerara sugar
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) butter
- 8 large baking apples, peeled, cored and chopped
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) maple syrup
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) lemon juice
- 1 tsp (5 mL) vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) ground nutmeg
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) bourbon
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) cornstarch
- 1 cup (250 mL) Armstrong Medium Cheddar Cheese, shredded
- In large bowl, whisk together flour and salt; using fingertips or pastry blender, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse meal. In small bowl, whisk egg yolk with 1/3 cup (75 mL) ice water; stir into flour mixture until dough just comes together.
- Form dough into 2 disks. Wrap each disk in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour before rolling.
- Filling: Melt butter in large skillet set over medium heat; cook apples, sugar, maple syrup, lemon juice, vanilla, cinnamon and nutmeg, stirring occasionally, for 5 to 7 minutes or until apples start to soften. Stir in bourbon; cook for 2 to 3 minutes or until the liquid is reduced by half. Let cool completely. Stir in cornstarch.
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C). Beat egg with 1 tsp (5 mL) water; set aside. On lightly floured surface, roll each disk into 13-inch (33 cm) round, about 1/8-inch (3 mm) thick.
- Transfer 1 round of pastry into 9-inch (23 cm) pie plate, pressing pastry against sides. Fill with apple mixture; sprinkle Cheddar Cheese over top. Top with remaining round of pastry. Using small sharp knife, trim excess pastry from edges of pie plate. Crimp edges decoratively.
- Brush top with egg wash; cut two small vents in centre of pie. Sprinkle with Demerara sugar. Bake for 45 to 50 minutes or until golden brown; let cool slightly before serving.
*Cortland, Crispin, Pink Lady, Granny Smith and Fuji apples work well for the pie filling. Substitute whiskey or brandy for the bourbon if desired.