- 50 mins
- 56 mins
- 12 Sandwiches
- ½ cup (125 mL) warm water
- 1 package of instant yeast
- 3 tsp (15 mL) sugar
- 2½ cups (625 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp (5 mL) ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp (5 mL) salt
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- ½ cup (125 mL) milk
- ¼ cup (60 mL) applesauce
- ½ cup (125 mL) green apples, diced
- ½ lb (250 g) maple bacon strips, cooked and chopped
- 5 to 7 cups (1¼ to 1¾ L) canola oil
- In a clean mixing bowl add warm water, instant yeast and 1 tsp (5 mL) of sugar. Stir lightly to combine and set aside in a warm area of the kitchen for 10 minutes.
- In medium mixing bowl combine flour, 2 tsp (10 mL) of sugar, cinnamon and salt. In a separate mixing bowl whisk together eggs and milk.
- Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients and pour in whisked eggs and milk. Stir to combine completely.
- Add applesauce to mixture. Stir to combine, then knead the mixture into a dough consistency.
- Fold in diced apples and bacon. Set aside in a warm area of the kitchen and allow dough to rise to about double its original size, approximately 2 hours.
- Turn out dough onto a floured surface and pat down into a rectangular shape about 15"x16" (38 cm x 40 cm). Then cut into rectangles approximately 4"x5" (10 cm x 12 cm) in size. Once cut, cover the rectangles with a clean kitchen cloth and allow it to rise again for approximately 10 minutes.
- In a medium-sized pot, heat oil to 370°F (190°C). Place dough rectangles gently into the heated oil. Cook until lightly brown on each side. Once browned, drain squares on a paper towel until ready to use.
- Slice fritters in half down the middle.
- In a sauté pan on medium-high heat, or using a flat griddle pan, place cut sides of the fritters down. Once lightly browned, flip over to grill the other side. Top the heated side with grated cheese and press two fritters together to form a sandwich.
- Continue to grill both sides of the sandwich until lightly brown and cheese is melted. Remove from pan and cool slightly. Cut in half and enjoy.
*Homemade fritters can be substituted with unglazed apple fritter doughnuts purchased from the grocery store. Be sure to slice the tops and bottoms off of the apple fritter doughnuts if they are glazed before browning.