- 15 min
- 30 min
For the Daikon/Carrot Pickle
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp Kosher salt
- ¾ cup daikon radish batonettes, about 3-inches long
- ¾ cup carrot batonettes, about 3-inches long
For the Burgers
- 1½ lb ground beef
- ½ tsp garlic, finely grated
- ½ tsp 5 spice powder
- ¾ tsp Kosher salt
- 4 slices Armstrong Medium Sliced Cheddar Cheese
- 4 buns
- ½ cup mayonnaise, divided
- 2 Persian cucumbers, ends trimmed and thinly sliced lengthwise with a peeler
- 1 Jalapeño pepper, thinly sliced
- ½ cup fresh cilantro and/or basil
- Start by making the daikon radish and carrot pickle. Combine water, vinegar, sugar and salt in a small pot. Bring to a boil. Once boiling add daikon radish and carrot pieces. Remove from heat. Set aside until daikon radish and carrot pieces soften, become pickled and are room temperature, about 20 minutes.
- In a large bowl combine ground beef, grated garlic and 5 spice powder. Mix well to combine. Divide burger mixture into four 6 oz. patties. Make sure the patties are at least 25% larger than the buns as they will shrink during cooking.
- Heat BBQ to medium-high heat. Season burgers on both sides with salt. Place burgers on grill and cook 4-5 minutes per side, until the internal temperature reads 145ºF on a thermometer. During the last minute of cooking, place a slice of Armstrong Medium sliced Cheddar cheese on top of each burger, close lid to melt, about 1 minute.
- Slice each bun open. Hollow out the top of each bun. Butter buns and toast on grill. Place mayonnaise on the top and bottom of each grilled bun. Place burger on top of each bun. Top with drained daikon radish and carrot pickle pieces, cucumber slices, jalapeño slices, fresh cilantro leaves and/or fresh basil leaves.