- 10 min
- 3 hr 10 min
- 4 - 6
Slow Cooker Loaded Mashed Potatoes
- 2.5 lb white thin-skinned potatoes
- ½ cup vegetable broth
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 8 small garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 cup (250 ml) Armstrong Mozza Cheddar Shredded Cheese
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- ½ cup sour cream
- 5 strips cooked bacon, cut into ¼ inch bacon bits
- 2 tbsp fresh chopped green onions or chives
- Salt & pepper, cayenne pepper or nutmeg to taste
- Wash potatoes, leaving skins on, and cut into 1-inch chunks.
- Place potatoes, broth, garlic cloves and onion powder into a 4QT slow cooker.
- Cook in a slow cooker on high for 3-4 hours, stirring every hour until tender.
- Turn the slow cooker to low and with a potato masher, mash the contents until smooth. Stir in cheese, butter, sour cream, bacon bits and most of the chives. Season with salt, pepper, and a pinch of cayenne or nutmeg to taste. Cover and keep warm until ready to serve.
- Place in your favourite serving dish and garnish with chopped chives and extra bacon bits.
- Turn this into “Panko and cheese crusted” loaded mash potatoes by sprinkling ½ cup of Armstrong Mozza Cheddar shredded cheese on top with ¼ cup breadcrumbs and broil it on the middle oven rack until bubbly and golden brown.
- Add chopped roasted mushrooms instead of bacon bits to make this dish vegetarian.
- For a smokier flavour add bacon fat instead of, or along with butter.
- If planning to keep the mashed potatoes warm in the slow cooker, be sure to give it a stir every hour to prevent a crust from forming along the edges.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE
- 20 min
- 35 min
- 15 min
- 45 min
- 15 min
- 4 hr 15 min