- 30 min
- 2 hr 10 min
For the pie crust
- 2 sheets of store-bought pie dough (not puff pastry)
- 375 ml (1 1/2 cups) of Armstrong Triple Cheddar Shredded Cheese
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) milk
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) granulated sugar
For the filling
- 6 firm apples (Granny Smith, Honeycrisp, or Golden Delicious, for example), peeled, cored, and sliced (about 2 L/8 cups total)
- 160 ml (2/3 cup) brown sugar
- 45 ml (3 tbsp) cornstarch
- 5 ml (1 tsp) ground cinnamon
- 0.25 ml (1/4 tsp) each: ground allspice, ground cloves, and salt
- Preheat oven to 200°C (400°F). Lightly butter a 23 cm (9 in) pie plate.
- Over a lightly floured working surface, unroll one sheet of pie dough. Sprinkle with 125 mL (1/2 cup) of the Armstrong Triple Cheddar shredded cheese. Roll the dough back up again to enclose the cheese, then use a rolling pin to roll the dough back out to a 30 cm (12 in) circle. Transfer the rolled-out dough to the prepared pie plate and gently ease it into the bottom of the pan, letting the excess dough overhang.
- Repeat these steps to create the top crust. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the sliced apples, brown sugar, cornstarch, spices, and salt. Sprinkle the bottom crust of the pie with the remaining 125 mL (1/2 cup) Armstrong Triple Cheddar shredded cheese. Fill the crust with the apple mixture, gently pressing the apples down to fit them into the plate (they should generously fill up the plate as they will lose volume upon baking).
- Using a pastry brush, brush the edge of the bottom crust with milk. Cover with the top crust, then cut out the excess dough, leaving a 3 cm (1.5 in) border all around. Fold the excess dough under the edge and press to seal together and crimp as desired. Use a sharp knife to cut air vents into the top layer of the pie. Brush with milk all over, then sprinkle with granulated sugar.
- Bake the pie for 30 minutes, then lower the heat to 190°C (375°F) and loosely cover the pie with aluminum foil to prevent excessive browning. Keep baking for 40 minutes more, or until the pie bubbles and the apples are soft.
- Transfer the pie to a wire rack and let cool for at least 30 minutes before slicing.