Skip to Content
- 15 min
- 45 min
- 4 - 6
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) olive oil
- 1 onion, minced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 10 ml (2 tsp) cumin
- 5 ml (1 tsp) ground coriander
- Salt to taste
- Chipotle powder or Cayenne pepper to taste, or 3 ml (1/2 tsp) chili powder
- 2 cans black beans, rinsed and drained (3 cups cooked)
- Zest and juice from 1 lime
- 1 egg
- 60 ml (¼ cup) cilantro, chopped
- 2 green onions, minced
- 125 ml (½ cup) breadcrumbs
- 8 slices Armstrong Mexican Fiesta Marble Jalapeño cheese
- Toppings of your choice
- In a large pan, sauté the onion and garlic over medium heat until golden. Add the spices and salt and continue to fry 1 minute.
- Add the rinsed and drained black beans and the lime zest and juice. Stir well, then using a potato masher, mash the mixture until it resembles a puree.
Let cool, then add the egg, cilantro, green onions, and breadcrumbs. Combine thoroughly. Let rest 10 to 15 minutes.
- Shape and firmly press the black bean mixture into 4 large patties (or 5 to 6 smaller ones). If the mixture appears to be too soft, refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a pan set over medium heat. Sear each side of the patties 5 to 7 minutes, or until golden and heated through.
- Place in a warm oven until ready to serve. Top each patty with slices of Armstrong Mexican Fiesta Marble Jalapeño cheese.
- Serve on toasted buns with toppings of your choice, we recommend chipotle mayonnaise and Mexican-inspired coleslaw.
Smoky Chipotle and Guacamole Corn Fritter Burgers
Onion Soup Flavoured Burger