- 10 min
- 30 min
Maple Glazed Bacon
- 200 g (approx 12 strips) smoked bacon
- 30 mL (2 tbsp) maple syrup
- 2 large eggs
- 375 mL (1 ½ cups) 2% milk
- 250 g (2 cups) all purpose flour
- 15 mL (1 tbsp) granulated sugar
- 20 mL (4 tsp) baking powder
- 2 mL (½ tsp) kosher salt
- 2 mL (½ tsp) freshly ground pepper
- ½ cup melted unsalted butter or vegetable oil
- 2 finely chopped green onions
- 250 g Armstrong Medium Cheddar Cheese, grated
- 100 g (approx 12) cherry tomatoes, halved
- 70 g (2 cups) baby spinach leaves.
- Maple Syrup
- Preheat oven to 200 C (400 F).
- Place a baking rack onto a sheet pan lined with aluminium foil. Put the bacon slices onto the rack in a single layer and bake for 12 minutes.
- Whilst the bacon is cooking, prepare the waffle mixture. In a large mixing bowl, combine all the dry ingredients with a whisk. Add the milk and eggs to the flour mixture. Slowly pour in the melted butter and add the green onion, combine well. Preheat the waffle maker.
- Carefully remove the sheet pan from the oven and brush the maple syrup over the bacon. Bake for 5 minutes till golden. Remove from oven and set aside.
- Ladle the batter into the waffle maker and cook till golden and crisp. Repeat to make 8 waffles.
- Place the grated Armstrong Medium Cheddar Cheese, cherry tomatoes, spinach and maple glazed bacon onto 4 of the waffles. Top with another waffle to sandwich them.
- To melt the cheese & fillings through, place the waffle sandwiches onto the baking rack used for the bacon. Loosely cover with aluminium foil & place into the warm oven for a few minutes.
- Serve hot with maple syrup.
- For light & fluffy waffles, separate the eggs and whisk the egg whites till they form soft peaks. Fold the egg whites into the batter when adding the onions.
- For an extra cheesy taste, add 1 cup of grated cheese to the waffle batter.
- The milk can easily be substituted with buttermilk or an alternative milk.
- Waffle irons vary in size. This recipe makes a total of 8 large & thick square waffles.
A recipe developed by our foodie influencer @kerrie_ahern